colchester to southampton?

Post your Bus Pass problems here but to help keep the forum compact and sweet do a search first as it is highly likely that the question you are about to ask has already been asked and answered. For your information the SEARCH facility is at the top right of this page.

colchester to southampton?

Postby paulinuk » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:28 pm

how do i work out how to go to southampton from sudbury suffolk or colchester to [ on buses]southampton docks i,d go go on the train but its about £80 crazy [cheaper to fly to poland and back]
paulinuk

Re: colchester to southampton?

Postby Philthebus » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:57 pm

I think that you would struggle to do it in one day using local bus services - have you though of paying to use National Express for all or part of the journey ?

What day(s) do you want to make this journey and what time do you want to be at the docks ?
Philthebus

Postby paulinuk » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:02 pm

hi have to board ship at 12pm,train would be good but crazy price,have to my boss for a lift but means leaving car at work for 3 weeks,i might go to colchester and see what one of the nat express driver says [dummy run]when i show pass
paulinuk

Postby purwell » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:19 pm

I've only had a cursory check on the journey planner and it appears that National Express would be your best option, only one change at Victoria Coach Station, but would still take nearly 6 hours.
purwell

Postby Stagecoach Pete » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:28 pm

paulinuk wrote:hi have to board ship at 12pm,train would be good but crazy price,have to my boss for a lift but means leaving car at work for 3 weeks,i might go to colchester and see what one of the nat express driver says [dummy run]when i show pass

Unfortunately, you will certainly be refused as a quick glance at the registered sections of National Express routes shows no sections listed from Colchester.

The list of sections on which passes may be used (subject to there being room on the coach) which are available is available here:

http://www.buspassheaven.co.uk/nereg.pdf

If you mean 12pm (as in noon), there's no chance of getting there in time by National Express anyway as the first 484 from Colchester (0725), and a change at Victoria, does not get you into Southampton until 1345. If you meant midnight (12am), you could get the 484 from Colchester at 1540, with a 70 minute connection at Victoria, which would get you into Southampton at 2135.

You could get a National Express Route Sixty fare (half normal price) on both of these, just checking, the return Route Sixty fare is £32.

The train's a bit more complicated, but if you can confirm whether it is noon or midnight you mean, I'm sure I can get the price down a bit 8-)
Stagecoach Pete

Postby paulinuk » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:36 pm

its 12 miday,i can drive back to work tring herts[but petrol £20+] and boss can? give me a lift to port but have have to leave car here and not in my garage,so it problems all round
paulinuk

Postby Stagecoach Pete » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:48 pm

paulinuk wrote:its 12 miday,i can drive back to work tring herts[but petrol £20+] and boss can? give me a lift to port but have have to leave car here and not in my garage,so it problems all round

OK, that means Nat Ex / local buses won't get you there on time unless you head off the day before.

As mentioned previously, you can get a Route Sixty fare on Nat Ex. If you are not travelling or returning Fridays, the Economy Return from Colchester to Southampton is £17.90, otherwise it's a Standard Return at £32.

By train, the return fare is £88.80 from Colchester to Southampton.

However, another possibility - you could get the train to London (£24.60 each way), or get a lift there or somewhere nearby.

There's the Nat Ex coach service 035 from Victoria at 0715 which gets into Southampton Coach Station art 0925. A Route Sixty Economy Return from London to Southampton (not valid Fridays) on this is £9.95, a Funfare (subject to availability) at £10.40, or thge Standard Return at £17.50.

HTH
Stagecoach Pete

Postby Chas » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:40 pm

Hello,

with my hobby I travel a lot by bus. The best way I have found of planning your own route is by looking at the map. Select the larger towns that form a rough line to where you need to go these should not be too far apart. Look at traveline and select buses only and enter each stage of your route. Also look at jumping one of the towns to see if there is a longer stage that can be done. it seems long winded but I have founf it does work. Look on the web at the town in question to see if they have a travel link to the main operator in the area and look at their time tables as well - sometimes traveline do not put all the operators that do a journey in their data base.

regards --- Chas
Chas

Postby purwell » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:18 am

That makes sense Chas, in fact I use a similar approach when driving, using Satnav. If you break your journey every 30 mile or so and re-set the Satnav with the aid of a map, it stops the long detours that they can send you on and hopefully avoid the fords and other hazards.
purwell

Postby paulinuk » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:46 pm

hi,i,m getting a lift from work [tring herts before aylesbury]coming back to tring i would like to try to get back from southampton on local buses could/should? be interesting, which buses,into london or?
paulinuk

Return to General Help