hertfordshire and beds passes used on trains

Post your Bus Pass problems here but to help keep the forum compact and sweet do a search first as it is highly likely that the question you are about to ask has already been asked and answered. For your information the SEARCH facility is at the top right of this page.

hertfordshire and beds passes used on trains

Postby promaboss » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:44 pm

again i think i saw some info on this and can confirm

bedford to elstree and borehamwood on thameslink and royston to hadliegh wood on showing pass one can get 50 % fare

there is a bit of confusion on what they call these

some have done me a LACON ticket local area concession and others had it down as something else i cant remember

dont use often as bus is free etc but useful at times show the pass and ask

there are other routes in herts and beds and i dont as yet have info on those ie bishops stortford/hertford east and so on to liverpool st line the info i had originally was all trains in both counties if one has pass though i tihnk its those with local council badges on and not just anywhere

my advbice is always to show pass just in case

i even showed mine in edinburgh other week

one never knows it does no harm to ask you have not lost anything and maybe gained something

even if a concession extrsa is local only if bus or train let you use it then its up to them

paul
promaboss

Re: hertfordshire and beds passes used on trains

Postby Stagecoach Pete » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:06 am

This would appear to confirm it:

http://www.bedford.gov.uk/GetResource.a ... 0v%202.pdf

Not sure about the above, but in most instances, where free rail travel is allowed using Bus Passes, it's for those who's passes were issued in that area. South Yorkshire is one example where those who have been issue passed by South Yorks Council can use them on the local railway, those with passes issued outside South Yorks can't.

You're pushing your luck with Edinburgh - particularly as it's a pass only valid in England! :shock:
Stagecoach Pete

Postby promaboss » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:09 pm

its not a case of pushin ones luck its mainly i just see no problem with showing and letting them make a decision after all we really dont know all the ins and outsa and nor do most of trhose you ask so to its worth a try

certainly on the train though officially its anyone with a hertfordshire pass or beds pass[from any council] it has been used by pep[le wothout such a pass ld simply ask if i can if someone says yes good enough for me even if not strickty correct as it stands we dont fully know whatever is printed

paul
promaboss

Postby promaboss » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:07 pm

jj8ust one main ammendment to those with a herts oir beds concession pass only the routes of first capitol connect as said before on this thread qualifying for 50% disscount if no staff at station as of april 1 u can get a child fare ticket and it will be legal before this date even though same price ie 50 per cent off you would of got fined but now as long as station was unstsaffed its ok

paul
promaboss

Postby Trolleyman » Fri May 01, 2009 10:13 pm

I regularly use my bus pass to obtain half-fare on the Luton to Elstree & Borehamwood section of First Capital Connect rail network in conjunction with the purchase of a One-Day Travelcard. Until very recently this allowed me to take any off-peak London train from Luton including all fast services which typically run non-stop between St Albans and St Pancras International. But not anymore, alas. First Capital have just introduced a new ruling which prohibits the use of "combination tickets" on fast trains which do not call at Elstree. Petty-minded and infuriating! So what's the solution? Don't bother with the train if you live in Luton, save yourself £8.50 and travel into London on the Green Line instead.

Trolleyman
Trolleyman

Postby promaboss » Tue May 05, 2009 3:37 am

tyhe only thing you can do is just get the slower train that does stop at elstree and bnorehamwood and from luton buy the return to elstree with the pass and the travelcard from elstree [buy it at luton ] thats what i do with same on here ie if i go to london off peak i go to station baldock get a day return to potters bar with the pass and at same time ask for a travel card from potters bar with disasbled rail card but i can only use the one slower train per hour ie the one that stops at potters bar not the fast one

i was told that was the case last year so i think perhaps you found people at luton with wrong info as i was always told it had to be used on trains that stoppeed at those locations and i could not use it if train did not stop at potters bar even though it goes through it again i say itsa daft but that was on the herts and beds train rules last yr

the one good thing is we can now use the machines and ghet child ticket that was a problem last yr as our station is not always manned

so ok not a combination tickety you would have to have two tickets well one day return and one travelcard but all can be purchased from any manned station its not like you have to detrain at elstree and get ticket from there

paul
promaboss

Postby promaboss » Tue May 05, 2009 3:49 am

i think i see what you mean i cant see any such trains on the timetable none from luton stop at elstree you have to change is that right??

i assumed it was simple to get luton to elstree train that then carried on onto st pancras enabling you to get tickets as said but this does not seem to be possible

i am sure i got a train last yr that went from luton to elstre i dont remember having to change how odd over such a short distance i hope first dont do that on out part of line thats cheating taking out direct trains in a small area

paul
promaboss

Postby Trolleyman » Fri May 15, 2009 4:55 pm

You must have been looking at the wrong page in the First Capital timetable, since there are normally two all-stations trains per hour between Luton and St Pancras International. My complaint is not about the lack of available (slow) services but the need to restrict bus-pass holders to the use of such services, especially during the off-peak when many trains are lightly loaded anyway. And remember you cannot return during the peak hours on this line due to an earlier restriction which First Capital introduced soon after taking over the service. I have made my feelings known to the staff at the ticket office (yes, I know it's nothing to do with them, but word does get back if enough people complain) and have also written to Customer Services. But in a way this unwelcome change has actually done me a favour, since the free Green Line coach run is a more pleasant and comfortable alternative and compared to a slow train takes much the same time. Oh, and you can return whenever you like even during the peak hours with a half-hourly service. Some drivers will drop you off at Luton town centre before continuing to the airport , not the other way round as scheduled - yet another bonus.

Trolleyman
Trolleyman

Postby promaboss » Mon May 25, 2009 1:23 pm

iif you get a normal day return then you can travel after 10 am and come back any time the restriction is if you go for a travelcard

the resriction again is only for par of the route

if i get on at hadleigh wood for example i can use my travel card to baldock even if its the off peak one

but if i get on at kings cross or finsbury park i cant use it legally

similar restrictions on your line

its all first capital

if not using pass nd just get a normal t card off peak i get kings crosspotters bar then potters bar to baldock

so even if in peak period in evening its still valid it wont be valid if i get on at kings cross say at 5 pm and go dirct to baldock

i dont like that situation mainly cause of the confusion in ticketing but even on green line the 797 and 758 have been told to restrict peopleusing pass at 4/5 pm on 757 its ok as so many so everyone gets home

but on 797 you are expected to wait till after 6 pm weekdays though its not a strict restriction but drivers have been told to resrict if possible
promaboss

Postby Trolleyman » Wed May 27, 2009 12:08 pm

I should perhaps have made it clear that I was only referring to Travelcard use in my previous post, so the restriction will always apply in my case when producing my bus pass. I have complained officially to First Capital using their comments/suggestions scheme. To my annoyance the customer services person who replied showed their ignorance of how this restriction operates by suggesting that I might even have to change trains at Elstree en route to St Pancras!

Your point about 757 use in the peak hour concerns me since I have it in writing from Greenline Customer Services that "The use of passes remains the same on Greenline". Since there had never been any restrictions before, I do not expect there to be any now. Any proposed changes should be properly publicised and not left to the whim of individual drivers.

Trolleyman
Trolleyman

Return to General Help